How to Prevent Pet Poisoning!

You would never knowingly poison your pet. That’s absolutely horrid and inhumane, wouldn’t we all agree? The sad fact is, though, pets, whether dogs or cats, can be easily poisoned by exposure to things in their environment that humans wouldn’t think twice about. There are likely things right in your very home, yard, or neighborhood that could be toxic should your pets come in contact with them.

That’s why, during Pet Poison Prevention Week, we want to focus on making the environment safer for your pets, so you don’t have to fret about them accidentally ingesting something that could be potentially fatal.

There are a number of top culprits for pets poisoned while in the home. Here are the main ones:

  • Human Medication – Many people have ongoing prescriptions from their doctors, or perhaps you take a variety of vitamins in an attempt to balance a nutritional lack, or just to be healthier in general. Well, those pills you pop may do just fine for you, but if a pet gets hold of them and downs a few, the results could be disastrous.
  • Human Food – So many people, kids and adults alike, are often tempted to let pets get a nibble of food from dinner, offer them a special treat from a holiday meal, or otherwise leave food lying around that then gets chowed down on. Too much sugar or other sweeteners can cause nasty reactions in pets, and even things like raisins or grapes have been linked to possible kidney failure in dogs. Other common food hazards include dough, nuts, table salt, and even onion and garlic.
  • Home & Yard Cleaning Supplies – From cleaning sprays you use to wipe down windows to the pesticides you use in your garden, or even the fertilizer used on your lawn, all of those can contain chemicals toxic to pets (and humans, too!).

Lastly, keep this resource handy: the Pet Poison Helpline. Worried your pet might’ve been exposed to anything toxic? Are they exhibiting odd behaviors you feel might come from being poisoned? Call the experts available via that line 24/7, 365 days a year.

Now that you know some of the elements that could possibly poison your pets, the next obvious step is to either eliminate them from inside the house, or make sure they’re secured in such a way there’s no potential for pet exposure. Have you taken the necessary steps to poison-proof your house for your pets? Now’s the time to get started!

No Comments Yet

You can be the first to comment!

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.

Archives

Latest Tweets

Facebook Posts