When we talk about pets and holidays, such as Christmas, the 4th of July, or Halloween, we often point out many of the hazards these celebratory days can pose to our four-legged family members. Turkey or chicken bones caught in the throat…lilacs that cats might be tempted to nibble on (which are toxic to them)…or the dog accidentally getting into an Easter basket and gobbling down pounds of chocolate and other sugary confections. These are all potential issues that should be addressed, but it doesn’t occur just on holidays. There are many ways pets can be accidentally poisoned if they’re allowed access to what we, as humans, would think of as relatively harmless objects or materials that are left just lying around the house.
This can include:
- Dishwashing detergent and other common household cleaners
- Daffodils, lilacs, and tulips
- Tylenol, Aspirin, ibuprofen, and Advil
- Fertilizer and other lawn chemicals (such as weed killers)
- Grapes and raisins
- Rodent poison
- De-icing salt
This is hardly a comprehensive list, but it is an example of how many of the things we might use on a daily can threaten our dogs and cats. Check out the Animal Poison Control center for more toxic items. To protect our pets, make sure any such items are sealed away or placed in places where they are sure not to be able to reach them…or remove them from your home altogether.
Also, be sure to know the symptoms of possible pet poisoning so you can get them proper care before it’s too late. This can include (but is not limited to):
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Loss of appetite
- Bleeding from the nose or mouth
- Muscle tremors
If you do think your pet has been poisoned in any way, you can also call the Animal Poison Control Center Hotline: 888-426-4435
And then get them to a vet immediately so their condition can be assessed and treated as needed.
No Comments Yet
You can be the first to comment!
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.