Most people think of October having mostly to do with harvest festivals, haunted houses, and trick-or-treating. Our next post will deal with how to have fun with your pup (while staying safe) during Halloween. But first, did you know October is also Adopt a Shelter Dog Month (also called simply Adopt a Dog Month)? No trick there! Just doggy treats.
We’ve looked at the big benefit of adopting dogs from local shelters, versus shopping for them at pet stores or puppy mills. These include helping a shelter expand its care to other needful pets, keeping dogs from being put down, and no longer supporting a system that often leads to puppy neglect and abuse.
Adopted dogs can provide just as valuable and lovable companions, exercise buddies, and more! How can you and your pups celebrate this special month and help spread the word? There are tons of ways!
- Update your Facebook and Twitter accounts, letting your friends know about Adopt a Shelter Dog Month and link to local shelters!
- Make sure your dog is spayed or neutered. Many local shelters offer this sort of service, and it helps keep the pet population problem in check.
- Contact your local shelters and see if there are any volunteer opportunities, or if they are holding any events to celebrate the month.
- Learn how you can donate to a local shelter, and encourage your friends to do the same!
- Share a story about your adopted dog with us!
Check out these other resources for more info and ideas:
No Comments Yet
You can be the first to comment!
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.